Monday, May 22, 2006

Rule 2

When the bus is crowded, unless you are elderly, disabled or with young children, move to the back of the bus. There are two things that prevent people from moving all the way back: fear of the people back there--don't worry, although we look like monsters, we're friendly monsters--and fear of not being able to escape when the bus arrives at your stop. Here's the trick: prepare yourself a few stops before your stop by moving slowly toward the exit. If you say firmly "excuse me", a path will be cleared. DO NOT hang out by the back door. The back door rider, usually a young guy who likes to spread his legs, is the scourge of the rapid bus. Unless you are about to step off, move out of the way!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mad Bus Rider in LA, this is Mad Bus Rider in SD. You know who I am. I agree with many of your comments about bus traveling. I also quite enjoy it, but it is amazing to me how anathema taking public transit is to almost everyone. The UCSD student newspaper makes this outrageous claim that one can't trust the slow mass transit system in SD, so why bother? Just buy an overpriced parking pass and spew fossil fuel fumes. Hrumph. In my FOUR years of riding the bus system in SD I have been inconvenienced, perhaps, 3-4 times because of bus difficulties. I take the bus from North Park to La Jolla 4 -5 times a week, people! All other difficulties were my own damn fault (I am not a great morning person). Try it, you'll like it. :) You just have to budget your time.