Tuesday, May 30, 2006

LA vs NYC

Most people who compare Los Angeles to New York follow two clichés: New Yorkers think L.A. is nothing but one big suburb while Angelenos brag about their weather. Both perspectives are silly. Most of L.A. is closer to Queens or Brooklyn than a typical post-war suburb--in terms of density although not in terms of architecture--and very few days in New York are too cold to take a long stroll through Central Park.

The first serious comparison to be made between the two cities should revolve around live music, and in this regard, unfortunately, New York wins easily. It's not so much that the music is better in New York or that there is more to choose from--although the latter is probably true--it's that the access to it in New York is so much easier.

Whenever I go to New York the first thing I do is find a newstand and buy a copy of Time Out magazine. The magazine has beautifully organized listings of everything that is going on in New York. Most importantly the cover charge is clearly displayed after every entry and free or very cheap gigs are easy to find. To save the space required for repeating addresses for each listing, venues are listed with addresses in a separate section, and next to the addresses are the nearest subway stops.

This magazine has versions for London, Chicago and New York but not for L.A. When I have complained about the lack of a Time Out L.A., Angelinos tell me you can find the same thing in L.A. Weekly or even better on the L.A. Weekly website. Well yes, and I could get the listings free in New York by picking up a Village Voice rather than paying 3 dollars or whatever it is for TONY, and I could buy Robusta rather than Arabica coffee beans, but personally I don't like the taste of cardboard. As for the "convenience" of the web, the LA Weekly site is the definition of design chaos.

But even if there was a clean, easy-to-browse website, why would I want to spend any more time on the computer? I'm sitting with my hands on the keys for eight or more hours a day, so it's nice to lay back on my couch and browse a magazine occasionally.

I still haven't mentioned the most bizarre element of TONY's listings from an L.A. perspective: listing nearby subway stops. Someone taking public transportation to go out in L.A. sounds as reasonable as taking George Jetson's flying car, but taking the subway to a New York club is the norm.

And after you leave the club, the most wonderful surprise awaits you back in the subway where musicians play anything from classical flute to steel drum. In L.A there are a few places that sanction street musicians--3rd street promenade or Venice Boardwalk--but there just isn't the natural audience created by people waiting for a train.

Last Spring, while waiting for a south bound 6 train at 59th street, I heard an extraordinary musician playing the log drum on the northbound side. Typically subway performers stop playing when the train arrives with its rattling din. But this drummer seemed to play with the rattle, maintaining an intricate rhythm similar to a minimalist piece by Steve Reich. Mesmerized, I let several trains pass by, then decide to cross over and buy a CD from him. I stand listening, ready to him pay him when he stops. He keeps playing, keeping an incredible pace. After perhaps 15 minutes he stops. I ask if I can buy a CD. He looks surprised. "Oh you should have interrupted me!" he smiles. "I didn't want to interrupt you." "Oh, thanks so much!"

His name is William Ruiz. I wonder if he will come to L.A. I would definitely take the bus and see him.

No comments: