Sunday, May 28, 2006

"I Need Work"



I saw this man while waiting for the 760 at Ventura and Sepulveda. His small suitcase and white plastic bag wrapped to a luggage carrier stood at the corner. As cars arrived at the stop light he would walk into the street look directly at the people stopping in their Escalades or Acura TLs and gesture to his sign, underlining with his hands "INEED WORK TODAY."

When the light turns green, the cars speed off and he takes a seat in the shade. I walk over and ask if I can take his picture.
"What for?"
"To post on the Internet"
"Do you think I could find work that way?"
"I don't know, maybe."
"I really need work. I need a place to stay tonight, so I have to get some money to pay for a room tonight."
"How long have you been on the street?"
"25 years. But I have to find a place to stay tonight. I got bit by something and I need to rent a room. Do you know anybody who needs some work done?"
"No, I'm sorry." He has his work gloves in hand, but it is hard for me to picture this man of perhaps seventy lifting drywall or pulling weeds.
I give him a couple dollars.
"If you know someone who needs work. I really need some work."
I give him a sad nod and head over to step on the bus.

No comments: