Sunday, June 11, 2006

The "third place" experience

I exit the Orange Line at Laurel Canyon in North Hollywood and get ready to take the 230. Noticing a couple men sitting on the bench, I ask if they know when the next bus is supposed to come. They shake their heads no, and look at me curiously. I take out my large system map, which shows all the routes in L.A. county and lists their frequency.
"Are you a tourist?"
"No. This is just a map of all the bus routes."
"Where are you going?"
"Oh, I'm just going someplace north of here."
I didn't want to say I was going to a church rummage sale in Sun Valley. It sounded odd when I thought about it--going on such an elaborate excursion to check out a rummage sale listed in Penny Saver. But I wanted to see what Sun Valley was like.
"Do you want to buy a map of the stars?"
"Um, no that's ok." I become curious. "So how much are your maps?"
"A hundred dollars." At first I think he is serious.
"Wow, who do you have on there?"
"Whoever you want. Anjelina Jolie, Ashley Simpson, Cameron Diaz..."
"Is there anybody that lives in the valley."
"Yeah Yeah sure. Shaq has a home down in Sherman Oaks and Kobe has a home in Encino."
"Shaq still has a home here?"
"Oh yeah. These guys you know they have so many homes."
"A hundred dollars huh. Wow."
"Nah, I don't have any maps." He laughs.
I laugh with him. Then a man comes up to ask me for money.
"I really need to get something to eat."
"Sorry Man, I don't have any change. Why don't you ask that guy." I point to the guy who was joking with me.
"No. I know him. He doesn't have any money."
"Oh, sorry." I then realize these guys aren't waiting for the bus. They're just resting. The bus benches are their version of Starbucks, what the brilliant marketers behind that coffee chain call a "third place"--neither work nor home but a place "in between" to relax and chat with your neighbors.
Of course, these guys wouldn't be in Starbucks too long before customers began complaining that the "third place" experience was being interrupted by people from "the last place" anybody wants to be: the streets.

When I get to Sun Valley, I'm disappointed. The rummage sale is a couple tables with odd toys and children's clothing. I casually walk by as if headed somewhere else. It looks like there is a mall on the corner with a Mervyn's in it. Maybe they have polo shirts on sale.

No comments: